Saturday, October 11, 2008

TOMBSTONES ON THE MOON

I was at the lake beach it was hot and there was a sparkle on the water and the sparkle moved side to side like someone darting and skating wildly back and forth sideways while making steady progress in my direction and the sparkle was in the form of a human-shaped figure way out on the lake skittering side to side zigzagging in towards shore and the figure was made all of sparkle and so bright and morbid I couldn't look at it and I experienced fear at its approach and it moved so unusually and rapidly and could reach me in a moment.

Fortunately there was a small skinny dog nosing around and I called it and it came and it stank and I cracked its neck with my strong hands as the bright side-sliding figure out on the lake was zeroing in like a pea in a funnel and I used my fingers to get out one of the little dog's milky eyeballs and brought it close to mine and could see filmy layers of rainbow translucence on its surface and the eye was a pearl and the pearl was a planet and the closer I looked I could see individual continents, islands in oceans of glistening sand and I was on a chilly island on the shore of sand and the sand was blowing in plumes and there was marble statuary all about and no people no sky and the ground was polished stone and I was safe from the bright sliding figure, gone from the lake, gone from everywhere and safely hidden among tombstones on the moon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home